3 spots available as of May 20th
Registration will close June 10th
Multi Level Course
ORCKA Canoe Tripping Level 2
Locations: Huntsville / Algonquin Highlands - Dorset Area (5 days)
Route: Wren Lake Access, Raven Lake, Gun Lake, Sherbourne Lake, Lake St Nora
Fee Includes: group gear, Canoe, safety equipment, paddle, pfd, Algonquin Highlands camping fees, most food and certification
Level 2 - Skill Development
Providing the experienced canoe tripping with the opportunity to improve their canoe tripping skills, stressing organization, safety, leadership, risk and crisis management. There will be assignments to prepare ahead of the course.
Prerequisite for Level 2: ORCKA Basic 1-4 Canoeing, ORCKA Canoe Tripping Level 1 or comparable skills and experience. Moderate level of fitness.
Level 3 * “Canoe trip Leader”
Candidates must meet the following prerequisites: or with permission of the Course Director - Judy Kirkwood
Prerequisites for Level 3:
- ORCKA Canadian Stylistic Paddling Level 1A (tandem)
- ORCKA River Running Level 1A (tandem) or Moving Water Level 1A (tandem)
- 25 nights of wilderness canoe tripping experience
- Wilderness canoe tripping distances totally 500km
- At least 6 canoe trips in which candidate was responsible for some of the organisation and leadership
- At least one wilderness canoe trip of 5 days in length or longer
- At least 17 years of age
There will be written assignments to prepare prior to the trip.
When completing the Kirkwood Canoe Registration Form, please indicate which Level you consider yourself - Level 1, 2 or 3
Optional: Backyard Camping July 30th: $30 (includes hst) if registered for Canoe Tripping course