ORCKA Canoe Tripping Instructor 1 or 2 Course
Instructors: Linda Leckie and Judy Kirkwood
Location: Algonquin Highlands - Dorset Area (5 days)
Wed May 11th - Wren Lake Access – Raven Lake, Thurs 12th – Gun Lake, Fri 13th – Gun Lake Day Trip / sessions
Sat14th – Sherbourne Lake, Sun 15th – Sherbourne to Lake St Nora – Out
Fee Includes: ORCKA Program Manual, certification, ORCKA 2022 Membership, group gear, safety equipment, Algonquin Highlands Group Camping Fees, canoe rental.
*Food will be a shared responsibility amongst participants
Trip Logs - Canoe Tripping 1 and 2 candidates must provide a detailed Trip Log of your past canoe tripping experiences as per the Prerequisites (#6) outlined below.
Course Preparation and Assignments - There will be written assignments to prepare prior to the course that will be presented on the May canoe trip. You will be expected to provide and prepare some meals for the group as well.
If interested please contact Judy Kirkwood – firstname.lastname@example.org for more information prior to registering.
ORCKA Canoe Tripping Instructor 1
1. At least 18 years of age
2. Current ORCKA membership
3. ORCKA Canadian Style Paddling 1A (Tandem)
4. ORCKA River Running 1A or ORCKA Moving Water 1A
5. ORCKA Canoe Tripping Level 3
6. Canoe Tripping evidence:
· Log of canoe tripping experience to include at least 25 nights of wilderness canoe tripping experience;
· Log of canoe tripping experience to include wilderness canoe tripping distances totaling 500 km;
· Log of canoe tripping experience to include at least 6 canoe trips in which the candidate was responsible for some of the organization and leadership and at least one wilderness canoe trip of 5 days or more.
7. It is strongly recommended that all Canoe Tripping Instructor 1 Instructors have, in addition to their canoeing qualifications, some qualification in Swimming, First Aid, CPR and River Rescue
Upon successful completion of the Canoe Tripping Instructor 1 Course, the Instructor may:
1. Administer, instruct and certify the ORCKA Canoe Tripping Program Level 1 and 2 in accordance with ORCKA policies and standards, and in compliance with all laws governing such activities.
2. Administer, instruct and certify the ORCKA Safe Canoeing, and ORCKA Safe Canoe Tripping Program and Courses in accordance with ORCKA policies and standards, and in compliance with all laws governing such activities.
3. Direct and examine a Camp Canoe Tripping Instructor Course at an OCA Camp in accordance with ORCKA policies and standards, and in compliance with all laws governing such activities
4. A Canoe Tripping Instructor 1 is expected to promote the development of safe, competent and knowledgeable recreational paddling and promote the development of the ORCKA Canoe Tripping programs, and to promote the development of Canoe Tripping as a separate discipline of recreational canoeing.