Note: This is a combined Instructor 1, Instructor 2, and VC Levels 1-3A Skills Course. If you wish to do the Instructor course, you will need prerequisites (see below). If you wish to do the Skills course you do not need any prerequisites.
Location: Sandwall Place on Agnew Lake
18 Malbeuf Dr.
Contact: Wally Van Dyke or Sandra Mayberry firstname.lastname@example.org 705-849-6429
Fees Include: ORCKA Program manual, 2022 ORCKA membership, 1 year subscription to Paddle Magazine
Participant is responsible for PFD, paddle (contact us if you have equipment concerns).
Accommodations: Camping accommodation is available on site for the duration of the course at no cost. Alternate accommodations can be found at Agnew Lake Lodge which is a 5 minute paddle or drive from the course location site.
Meals: Participants will share responsibilities for meals as part of the course.
The Voyageur Canoe Instructor 1/2 Course is to provide a Provincial certification of competence in the administration and instruction of the ORCKA Voyageur Canoe Programs and Courses.
Upon successful completion of the Voyageur Canoe Instructor 2 Course, the Instructor may:
1. Administer, instruct and certify the ORCKA Voyageur Canoe Level 1, 2, and 3 Programs and Courses in accordance with ORCKA policies and standards.
2. Instruct at a Voyageur Canoe Instructor 1 or 2 Course, by invitation of the Course Director.
3. Direct and examine a Voyageur Canoe Instructor 1 or 2 Course with the approval of the ORCKA Board of Directors.
4. A Voyageur Canoe Instructor 2 is expected to promote the development of safe, competent and knowledgeable recreational paddling, promote the development of the ORCKA Voyageur Canoe programs, and to promote the development of Voyageur Canoeing as a separate discipline of recreational canoeing.
1. At least 18 years of age.
2. Current ORCKA membership.
3. ORCKA Canadian Style Paddling Level 1 or Basic Canoeing Instructor or any Instructor 1
4. ORCKA River Running or Moving Water Level 1.
5. ORCKA Voyageur Canoe Level 3 or Voyageur Canoe Level 2 and Canoe Tripping Level 3
6. Minimum of (5) years of Voyageur Canoeing or Canoe Tripping activities, including:
a. Log of Voyageur Canoeing or Canoe Tripping leadership or shared leadership for a minimum of 50 nights and 1000 kilometres.
b. Above log to include at least 3 trips in wilderness areas totalling 6 days or more and covering a total of at least 400 kms. It is recommended that at least one of these trips should be in a Voyageur Canoe.
7. A log of Voyageur Re-enactment Activity is recommended.
8. It is strongly recommended that all Voyageur Canoe Instructor 2 Instructors have, in addition to their canoeing qualifications, some qualification in Swimming, First Aid and CPR.