Fee includes: Canoe, safety equipment, paddles, pfd, ORCKA Canoeing Program Manual, one year ORCKA Camp Canoe Instructor Membership
(3 days – 100% attendance required)
The purpose of the Camp Canoeing Instructor (CCI) Course is to provide a provincial certification of competence in the instruction and administration of the ORCKA Basic Canoeing Level 1, Level 2 and Level 3 Courses and Safe Canoeing Program.
The Camp Canoeing Instructor Course will be confined to the waterfront of the OCA member youth camp(s).
- At least 16 years of age
- Be employed by or attending an OCA member youth camp.
- ORCKA Basic Canoeing Level 1-4 skills
- or comparable skills and experience -with the permission of the Course Director: Judy Kirkwood
- in addition, some qualification in Swimming, First Aid and CPR is strongly recommended
Itinerary: This is a demanding, yet rewarding 3 day (24 hour) course:
- ORCKA Basic Canoeing Level 1-2-3-4 tandem and solo Certification
- Canoe Theory
- Share knowledge and resources
- Learning /Instructing theories and strategies
- Gain confidence instructing in many different situations
- Practice skills sessions build into the 3 day / 24 hour course
As a Camp Canoe Instructor, the successful candidate will be qualified to:
- Instruct ORCKA Basic Levels 1-2-3 courses at an OCA youth camp while confined to the OCA camp waterfront and the camp will provide “lifeguard supervision” during the on or near water activities.
- Assist at an ORCKA Safe Canoeing Program.
- A Camp Canoeing Instructor is expected to promote the development of safe, competent and knowledgeable recreational paddling and to promote the development of the ORCKA Basic Canoeing Program.
Visit www.kirkwoodcanoe.ca for more information and to regist